Filed under Editorial

Love is in the Hallways

Back to Article
Back to Article

Love is in the Hallways

Relationships are hard to begin with, and being in a high school relationship can make it even harder; 61% of teenage students have been in “love,”or so they say. As a teenager, school should always be your number one priority, after all, it decides your future. But, the future is also in your hands. High school helps define your adult character, and prepares you for college. Relationships during high school may do the same, although they sometimes can become distracting. With a high school relationship, there comes many stress factors. You may lose close friends, you can become distracted in school, and it may even separate you from your family. Instead of studying, a person may decide to hang out with their significant other and not think about the consequences that lie ahead.

Social media is a top venue for flirting and forming relationships nowadays. In today’s society, most teenagers meet online anyway. Most people are constantly on their phone, and once they have a person to message all the time, the distraction is a hundred times worse. When asked about high school relationships, Emma Tennyson-Hickey, a WVHS junior said, “I think people shouldn’t enter a high school relationship until they are mature enough to handle a relationship and can communicate with their partner about what their relationship will entail.” Petra Chiabi, a WVHS senior, commented, “Well, I believe that high school relationships are a good experience to have before you go into the real world. But at the same time, you have to take into account that a lot of them aren’t going to last forever. And if it is unhealthy for you, you have to get out of it. Never let a person hold you back, education is always first.” Amanda Capiaghi, also a WVHS senior, told The Survey, “I don’t think high school relationships are bad, but I see them as a waste of time most of the time”
As evident in student responses most aren’t against relationships, but simply don’t think they are healthy in high school. Jenna Osczepinski, a WVHS junior, stated that “Relationships distract you in your education and drag you into unnecessary drama.” A significant other can distract you from studying, going to extra help, or even focusing on school work. The drama and potential conflict involved in the relationship can be distracting as well. Most teenagers cannot handle a relationship along with school work and maybe even a job alongside it. But, there are a few who can. If a person thinks they are mature enough and ready to commit, feel free while considering the risk factors of a high school relationship.
It isn’t all downsides to having a high school relationship. As Brooke Van Aulen, a junior mentioned, “ You’re able to connect with a person, you get to be with someone who makes you happy, and going through a relationship helps you grow in different ways, even after you break up.”
If you find that right person, they will help you grow and become even greater than before. As a teen, we do indeed need support from others to help us stretch out and pave the way for our future. Remember though, a person can be your compass but never your world.

• Editorial

Trumps First Year

• Editorial

They Need Their Money Now

• Editorial

Tired of It

• Editorial

Are We Too PC?

• Editorial

Artificial Intelligence

• Editorial

The Dreamers

• Editorial

This Needs to Stop

• Love is in the Hallways

Editorial

Are We Really Being Educated

• Love is in the Hallways

Editorial

Betsy DeVos: Education

• Love is in the Hallways

Editorial

Are Pit Bulls Perfect?

Love is in the Hallways