Filed under Music

David Bowie

David Jones. Major Tom. Ziggy Stardust. Thin White Duke. The Goblin King. David Bowie.
Music icon David Bowie died on January 10th, after an 18 month battle with cancer. His death came just days after releasing his 25th studio album, “Blackstar”. Bowie leaves behind one of the most impressive and unique careers in music history. He was known for many hit songs, including “Space Oddity”, “Heroes”, “Changes”, and “Let’s Dance”. Bowie also starred in several movies. Perhaps his most famous acting moment was his role as Jareth the Goblin King in “Labyrinth”. He went through many personas to go along with his albums. The most famous was Ziggy Stardust, which was introduced for the album “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars”. Bowie was also renowned for his music videos. While music videos became more popular when MTV made its debut in 1981, Bowie had already been releasing successful videos for years.
Students recognize the significance of Bowie, and his impact on the music world. Senior Tyler Coyne said, “David Bowie was so iconic because he took styles and genres that weren’t popular at the time and reinvented them as he brought them into the mainstream. He wasn’t a follower. He lead revolutions in music for decades straight”. Senior Clayton Thompson also spoke on Bowie. “I think the best quality about David Bowie was his innovativeness. He was always creating music that was true to himself and didn’t conform to what the record labels wanted. He did that for 50 years. It is because of this that David Bowie will live forever”.
There will never be another like David Bowie. He was truly a one of a kind. His music has inspired thousands and will do so for years to come.

• Music

The Real Led Zeppelin

• Music

Emo Rap

• Music

The Truth Behind Rap

• Music

The Influence of SoundCloud

• Music

Real High School Bands

• David Bowie

Music

Music Festivals

• David Bowie

Music

The Ten Dollar Founding Father

• David Bowie

Music

10,000 Days

• David Bowie

Music

Mind of Mine

• David Bowie

Music

The Talented Town of Warwick

David Bowie