Filed under Music

Lemmy Kilmister

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lemmy Kilmister

Recently, Ian Fraser “Lemmy” Kilmister, the bassist, singer and founder of English heavy metal group Motorhead, passed away due to an aggressive form of cancer. He was 70 years old.
Lemmy was born in Staffordshire, England on Christmas Eve. Motorhead was founded in 1975 by Lemmy after his dismissal from the psychedelic rock band Hawkwind. Motorhead first consisted of Lemmy on bass and vocals, “Fast” Eddie Clarke on guitar, and Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor on drums. Throughout the years, the band’s lineup would revolve with Lemmy being the only consistent member until 1992, when the band settled on the lineup of Phil “Wizzo” Campbell on guitar and Mikkey Dee on drums. This lineup would stay as it was up until the recent breakup. The band sold over 15 million records worldwide. Albums such as Overkill (1978), Bomber (1979), Ace of Spades (1980), and the live album No Sleep ‘til Hammersmith (1981), have influenced many heavy metal groups over the years.
Longtime friend of Lemmy and radio show host, Eddie Trunk, first reported news of his death. Black Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne posted the news on Twitter, stating, “I lost one of my best friends, Lemmy, today. He will be sadly missed. He was a warrior and a legend. I will see you on the other side.”
In an interview with Sweden’s Expressen newspaper, Mikkey Dee, the current drummer for the band, told everyone that Motorhead has ceased to exist, stating, “We won’t be doing anymore tours or anything. And there won’t be any more records. But the brand survives, and Lemmy lives on in the hearts of everyone.”
According to an article in Consequence of Sound, along with cancer, Lemmy had been suffering other health issues, including diabetes and a heart arrhythmia. In 2013, he was fitted with an implantable defibrillator to correct an irregular heartbeat. His health issues had caused the cancellation of multiple Motorhead performances in recent years, though Lemmy remained an active force up until the time of his death.
A sophomore, Alex Brand, who is an avid heavy metal fan, was interviewed about the issue. He stated, “I find the news devastating. He was like a god of metal. You knew who he was. He changed heavy metal forever.” Metallica is his favorite band, and he continued by stating, “He inspired Metallica, so I have to give him credit for that.” Alex concluded his statement by saying, “I think this leaves the future of heavy metal in doubt.”
Mrs. Turner, the student librarian, was also interviewed about Lemmy’s death. While not the biggest fan of heavy metal music, she did show affection and sorrow for Lemmy and his fans. Turner stated, “Anytime a big name in rock passes away, it does leave the fans feeling empty. People feel lost without their idol.” She also stated that, “When a musician dies, it helps to increase album sales, so that more people are opened to their music.”
This is not the end of Motorhead’s legacy, though, as Lemmy lives on in the hearts of heavy metal fans everywhere.

• Music

The Real Led Zeppelin

• Music

Emo Rap

• Music

The Truth Behind Rap

• Music

The Influence of SoundCloud

• Music

Real High School Bands

• Lemmy Kilmister

Music

Music Festivals

• Lemmy Kilmister

Music

The Ten Dollar Founding Father

• Lemmy Kilmister

Music

10,000 Days

• Lemmy Kilmister

Music

Mind of Mine

• Lemmy Kilmister

Music

The Talented Town of Warwick

Lemmy Kilmister