A New Era for Cara

Pamela Loperena, Arts and Culture Page Editor

Bearing an enviable pair of striking eyebrows and a fierce feminist attitude, it’s highly unlikely you’ve never seen Cara Delevingne before. She is a force of nature—more than just a twenty-three year old model caked up in makeup and dignity. Recently, she debuted in the movie rendition of John Green’s bestselling book, Paper Towns and became a cover girl for Vogue. After gathering enough confidence from her success, Delevingne confessed a shocking statement to the press: she wanted to quit modeling for good, and shift her career into acting. Thousands of fans still question her bold decision, and wonder: why would she ever change her career, when she appears to be so content with the one she already has?
But behind all the glamour and glitz, twenty-three year old Delevingne revealed there was a darker side to her seemingly flawless life. According to UK Times Magazine, Delevingne commented, “I am not doing fashion work anymore, after having, like, psoriasis and all that stuff.” Psoriasis is an incurable skin condition, where scaly patches of skin become inflamed out of various factors, such as smoking, cold and dry weather, and some medications (ex: lithium). Although Delevingne’s psoriasis was caused by high stress levels, she was an ‘in demand’ model and strutted fifty-three runway shows during Fashion Week.
Cara even suffered mental consequences. Delevingne commented, (UK Times Magazine)
Many male photographers in the modeling industry are known to have peer pressured teen models posing in provocative ways in photo shoots for magazines and television commercials. The candid model recalled on her experiences as, “uncomfortable,” and, “not good.” As a result, she struggles with depression and body image issues to this day.
After quitting, Delevingne didn’t hesitate to speak out against the entire fashion industry either. She claimed fashion was solely about appearances, designing pretty things, and had no place for insightful discovery. Warwick Valley High School senior, Victoria Caban agreed with her comment saying,

Delevingne hopes to gain back a sense of her well-being, as she continues performing in her upcoming movie roles.
The modeling industry is an expert at hiding the ugly parts of their management to the media. Lots of young girls in America aren’t aware of the battles models endured, just to get their face pasted inside a magazine ad. The Model Alliance, an organization advocating fashion industry reform, did an anonymous survey involving eight-five female models, reporting that 60.5% of them thought their lack of privacy while changing was a huge concern, 29.7% had experienced inappropriate touching and 76.5% had been exposed to drugs and/or alcohol on the job. The startling calculations, displayed on their website (ModelAlliance.org), aims to inform young models, at the start of their journeys, the growing amount of health problems developing within the industry. The survey helps individuals really think over their modeling career choice, since they could possibly get affected with undesirable results. However, the good news is that there’s plenty of room for improvement and innovations. “More parents should educate their kids about healthy lifestyles,” Mrs. Spanno, the Fashion and Design teacher, suggested. “They would be more less influenced by modern-day model ideals. It’s unfortunate young girls feel forced to look like models and get diagnosed with bulimia and anorexia.” Eating right and being physically active can promote a healthy body and mind. Jackie Glynn also advised girls, “It’s not worth falling for unrealistic standards.”
Gursimar Singh, a junior at WVHS, also commented,“I think modeling objectifies women and I applaud her for not being fake and doing something shes very passionate about.I like how she’s shifting her career from being a model to an actress. I love her Instagram bio that says, ‘Embrace your weirdness. Stop labelling, start living.’ It’s very inspritng for girls to be themselves and it’s important for them to know that.”
Delevingne has a promising career ahead. She is starring in the upcoming movies, Suicide Squad, and Pan. “I think she’ll be a great mermaid in, Pan,” Victoria Caban stated. “I think she’ll combine her acting and modeling skills to use in her role, as an advantage.

Cara wants to move into the music industry in the nearby future. Whatever path Cara decides to pave, there’s no doubt about it: it’s a new era for Cara and she certainly isn’t covering injustice with concealer any longer.

A New Era for Cara