Mind of Mine

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mind of Mine

Annie Demetreoules, Co-Editor of the School Page

Former One Direction member, Zayn Malik, released his highly anticipated album “Mind of Mine” this past month. This album includes his singles “PILLOWTALK”, “iT’s YoU”, and “BeFoUr.”Malik departed from One Direction because he had said that he wanted to pursue a different kind of music career, and he did just that. This album is a mix of genres ranging from R&B to pop and even folk. Many people may not enjoy his change in style. Some may still be angry that he even decided to leave One Direction and take on a different side of his music. Sophomore Adriana Montgomery expressed her opinion about his new album. “Zayn’s new album is amazing. It’s such a change from what he is used to and I am so proud of him for that. “He went his own way and didn’t care what anyone thought of that,” that is inspiring that he will do what he can to make himself happy. No one can stop him. Zayn has a song on the album in Arabic that I think is great because he is showing his culture. My favorite song off the album is TiO because of how different it is. Overall the album is amazing.”

Zayn Malik always had hopes of becoming a R&B solo artist someday. He even auditioned for England’s “The X Factor” back in 2010 with Mario’s “Let Me Love You.” Unfortunately, when he joined One Direction they took a completely different course with their music, leaning more towards the pop-rock industry. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Malik stated that he
“wasn’t 100 percent behind the music”, It wasn’t me.”

It was music that was already given to us, and we were told this is what is going to sell to these people. As much as we were the biggest, most famous boy band in the world, it felt weird. We were told to be happy about something that we weren’t happy about.’ Malik often said that that is one of the reasons that influenced him the most to leave the band.

Zayn wanted to add a personal touch to most of his songs. His song “PILLOWTALK” was the first single off his debut album. This song has a lot of R&B influences and some slow, yet heavy beats. When the single was released, Malik also released the accompanying music video as well. This music video featured model Gigi Hadid, who also happens to be Zayn’s girlfriend. This song is basically about the pain that comes with being in love with someone. Senior Marielle Berrian gave her opinion on this song and its music video. She stated, “The music video for Pillowtalk looks like a second grader experimenting on Photoshop for the first time. The lyrics were very shallow, not very meaningful, and repetitive.” Though this song was taken well by critics, not everyone is enjoying his new music.

Zayn’s album has many different musical influences throughout. The tracklist is comprised of 14 songs and an additional four on the deluxe edition. Many of his songs have blends of R&B, alternative, and pop. His vocal range hasn’t changed much from his boy band days but his musical sound has definitely developed into something else. Zayn also added some of his Pakistani-Muslim culture into his music. His song “INTERMISSION: fLoWer” is sung in all Urdu, or the national language of Pakistan.
If you enjoy Zayn you may also like artists such as The Weeknd, Miguel, or even Frank Ocean. So, try out Mind of Mine by Zayn and you may discover a musical experience you didn’t know you were missing.

• Music

The Real Led Zeppelin

• Music

Emo Rap

• Music

The Truth Behind Rap

• Music

The Influence of SoundCloud

• Music

Real High School Bands

• Mind of Mine

Music

Music Festivals

• Mind of Mine

Music

The Ten Dollar Founding Father

• Mind of Mine

Music

10,000 Days

• Mind of Mine

Music

The Talented Town of Warwick

• Mind of Mine

Music

David Bowie

Mind of Mine