Are Our Phones Protected?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are Our Phones Protected?

Justis Nieves, Co-Editor of the Sports Page

In today’s society, our phones are some of the most important and precious objects in our lives. We like to think that once we lock our phones no one can get into them. Fingerprint scanners, 4 digit codes, shapes, and complex passwords that even have characters longer than the longest word in English, are used to secure our phones or for some of us our lives. But, even with all these security codes, our phones can still be somehow hacked into. A few weeks ago, the San Bernardino Shooter’s phone was hacked into by the F.B.I. and a third party. Now with this news it begs the question: Are our phones really that safe and protected?
New information has surfaced about how the F.B.I. was able to hack into the San Bernardino Shooter’s iPhone. The F.B.I. apparently hired professional hackers to help hack into the terrorists phone. The F.B.I. says they will not reveal the flaw Apple the flaw in their system. This now raises concern for Apple iPhone users. iPhone users are questioning the security of their information. Is my personal information at risk to be seen by other people? That question is the main one being asked by many iPhone users who have heard the latest news. Kitzai Martinez, a freshman and iPhone user commented that, “Yes definitely feel like my information is at risk because if I use key words the government starts to investigate my activity.” This is just one reaction from an iPhone user. Another reaction comes from Sam Ferrari, a sophomore, and also an iPhone user , “I don’t feel that the government should have access to our phones. It’s our privacy, they don’t have the right to rummage through our lives.”
This fight between the F.B.I. and Apple has even been taken to Congress’s doorstep. At Congress, parties are debating citizens’ rights to their own privacy. A bill has been issued where law enforcement is now required to have a warrant in order to investigate a person’s emails or any other information located on an electronic device. As one could imagine, not everyone agreed to the new bill. The Senator of California, Dianne Feinstein stated, “No entity or individual is above the law”. While Representative Tom Marino supports the bill stating that, “The Fourth Amendment’s papers and effects are today’s emails, tweets, and posts.” Similar to any argument, there has been constant back and forth between the senator and the representative over this new bill. In this upcoming presidential debate, this is sure to be a topic to be discussed.
This is an issue that will no question be part of even more security debates in the near future. Does the government have the right to view our activity on our phone? That question is still up for debate however, whether we like it or not, the government can and will look into the privacy of our phones if necessary. Unfortunately that’s the simple truth of it all. It’s now so important to watch what we have on our phones in this day and age.

• Random

New York Driving Age

• Random

The Future of Yesterday’s

• Random

Be the Change

• Random

Femme Fatales – The Fifteen Percent

• Are Our Phones Protected?

Random

#NoMakeup

• Are Our Phones Protected?

Random

Save the Bees

• Random

Life Without Regret

• Are Our Phones Protected?

Random

A Hunch About Lunch

• Are Our Phones Protected?

Random

Barbie’s New Look

• Are Our Phones Protected?

Random

Pros and Cons of Warwick

Are Our Phones Protected?