A Hunch About Lunch

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Hunch About Lunch

Logan Lipnicky, Co- Editor of the Music Page

With the brand new additions to the school’s lunch menu this year, many have noticed a change of quality in the school’s food, with many supporting the new direction lead with a healthier foot forward. The year of 2016 came not only with a new bell schedule but with the indoctrination of a brand new unit lunch and cafeteria choices which offer more variety than ever before. The addition of lunch locations in the lobby and south side of the building have allowed students to get lunch more conveniently alongside food that caters to a broader selection of diets, including a brand new salad and sandwich station.
With the introduction of a new menu in the beginning of the year by Dr. Washington, many lean on both sides of the fence. The introduction of new pizza toppings including buffalo chicken, ranch, hawaiian style, mac and cheese, and even taco pizza have all been served this year. English teacher Mr. Dileo had this to say, “I think the new healthy choice is great, I would really like to see more options for toppings on top of the lettuce.” Drinks have also received an upgrade from only one brand of water to a democracy of iced teas, gatorades, and water brands.
During an interview with the director of food services Lois Radon, it was revealed that the source of the majority of meals that come through the school is from various companies and corporations that supply a variety of meals and beverages.
We spoke briefly about the National School Lunch Program or NSL and their strict school lunches. “We received a lot more choices and variety in what we can offer our students once we seceded from the NSL.” It became apparent through further discussion that the NSL cut types of food to a strict regimen, often having certain foods unavailable for consumption as well as others like milk and fruit mandatory. It was this program that was responsible for the removal of the large cookies once served years ago.
At first glance the inside kitchen of the cafeteria appears extremely clean and well kept. Boxes labeled Rockland Bakery are stacked in a neat fashion against walls that align with orderly utensils. These may become a surprise to some as a few students have voiced their less than optimistic opinions about the school’s food. Freshman Maddy Green shared her thoughts, “The pizza is soggy and tastes like cardboard”. This has been a view shared by most relating to the school’s pizza. Sophomore Jason Kats came from a different school and had this to say about the lunch here. “The pizza would be my favorite, but the burgers could be improved.” Many have complained about the lack of sauce and thin dough on the pizza served daily while others seem to not be bothered as much.
Though there are some who choose to stay clear of school lunch there are still packed lines each day suggesting they must be doing something better. During our interview, Lois revealed that the middle school would soon be receiving a lunch upgrade similar to the high school’s. While some still continue to bring their own brown bagged lunches others buy out of convenience. Only time will tell if the stereotype of less than decent school lunch will remain.

• Random

New York Driving Age

• Random

The Future of Yesterday’s

• Random

Be the Change

• Random

Femme Fatales – The Fifteen Percent

• A Hunch About Lunch

Random

#NoMakeup

• A Hunch About Lunch

Random

Save the Bees

• Random

Life Without Regret

• A Hunch About Lunch

Random

Are Our Phones Protected?

• A Hunch About Lunch

Random

Barbie’s New Look

• A Hunch About Lunch

Random

Pros and Cons of Warwick

A Hunch About Lunch