AHS: All Seasons Connected?

Back to Article
Back to Article

AHS: All Seasons Connected?

Kayla Burgoa, Fashion Page Editor

American Horror Story has undoubtedly been a phenomenon in the television business with more and more fans joining the show every season. It has been extremely popularized since 2011 when it first aired and has been talked about by many young adults. American Horror Story is a popular show that surrounds many horror themes and mysteries such as murders and puzzles. It has probably caught the eye of many people because of its constant hook on characters and the storyline. The actors do a great deal for the show by truly portraying their character fully and showing us a real side to the story, a more human side to the sad or horrible things that have happened. Every season of the show is a completely new story with new characters, with the occasional brief overlaps with past characters or stories. “I like how each season is a new story so you may love one character in one season, but then hate them in the next one,” said WVHS Junior, Luke Rodriguez. The creator of the show Ryan Murphy, who is also the creator of Glee and Scream Queens, has been rumored to be connecting all the seasons with small details that could go very unnoticed by viewers. Some seasons are connected with their stories and some by their character’s backstories. What also might be very appealing to viewers is that most of the events that take place in the show have actually happened or have been mysteries for a very long time.

Season 1 is known as “Murder House” and had many connections and mentions throughout the other seasons. A few characters reappeared in later seasons such as Psychic Billie Dean Howard who came to calm down spirits in the house and then reappeared in season 5 known as “Hotel” to do the same. The realtor in the first season, Marcy, was also in “Hotel” trying to sell the Hotel Cortez.. Although the actors are different, there is no coincidence that their names are exactly the same and their profession is the same as well. The character Queenie in season 3 also reappeared in season 5 when she booked a room in the Hotel Cortez. Pepper in season 2’s “Asylum” was seen again in season 4’s “Freak Show” and many people were excited and saddened to find out that she had ended up in the Briarcliff Asylum after the Freak Show. “Asylum” character Sister Mary Eunice Bridges who worked at Briarcliff was seen again in “Freak Show” showing how she had put Pepper in the Asylum. In “Freak Show” we find out that Elsa’s legs were sawed off In and she had to have a doctor give her prosthetics and near the end of this season she reveals that this took place in Germany at the hands of the truly evil Dr. Arden who is one of the main characters in season 2 “Asylum.”

A location that seems to be mentioned very often in the show is Massachusetts, whether the season is taking place there or there are mentions of this area. In “Murder House” the Harmon Family moves to Los Angeles, California from their home in Boston, Massachusetts. Season 2 “Asylum” takes place in the Briarcliff Asylum located and built in Massachusetts. “Coven” takes place in New Orleans but because of the witch and magic based plot, there are many references to the Salem witch trials which took place in Massachusetts. In “Freak Show” it is explained that the main character Elsa used to work at a circus in no other than Boston and in “Hotel” it is said that Mr. March’s accent is closely associated with a Boston accent. Also a location shortly mentioned was Florida when Vivian explains in season 1 that she has family there, while season 4 also happened to take place in Florida. The Murder House itself was shown again in season 5.  The creator, Ryan Murphy, has said in an interview “They’re all connected. We’re just beginning to tell you how they’re connected. They’re all very separate but there’s clues every season that we’re now telling you how the different worlds are intertwined.”

American Horror Story is known for their confusing and not very obvious trailers for every seasons. They usually come out with teasers rather than trailers, and for season 6 there were many teasers that left people wondering where the show was going. One promo for the season that came out incorporated all of the prior seasons and led up to the new one, proving more that all of the season were connected and that maybe the new season would be an official link to all seasons. The new season is called “My Roanoke Nightmare” and is based on true events, although all seasons had true events, this season seems to be more popularized for this fact. Roanoke was an island known as The Lost Colony in the late 1500’s, and was filled with people when an explorer/settler known as John White had left to get more supplies in England but when he returned in 1590, the whole island was deserted. The only thing left on this colony was a carving in a tree that said “Croatoan.” Social Studies teacher Ms. Hamilton said “It’d be nice to see history become relevant for today’s youth and it would be nice to see what creative endings they might have for one of America’s best unsolved mysteries.” This was very briefly used in Season 1’s “Murder House” when Violet wanted to erase all the spirits from the house using the advice of Billie Dean Howard to repeat “croatoan” over and over to kill the spirit. Although this did not work it certainly has a connection to “My Roanoke Nightmare.” This season premiered on Wednesday, September 14, and captivated many viewers and left them wanting more, as all the seasons do. It’ll be amazing to see what Ryan Murphy does with the storyline and which myths he will follow. He’ll surprise the audience again, that’s for sure.

• Entertainment

The American Mythos

• Entertainment

The Frightening Future of Technology

• Entertainment

#MeToo

• Entertainment

It’s Back and Better Than Ever

• AHS: All Seasons Connected?

Entertainment

Live From New York

• AHS: All Seasons Connected?

Entertainment

Writer of the Silver Screens

• AHS: All Seasons Connected?

Entertainment

Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram

• AHS: All Seasons Connected?

Entertainment

“Where you lead, I will follow”

• Entertainment

Why Aren’t Millennials Watching the News?

• Entertainment

Bieber is Back!

AHS: All Seasons Connected?