It’s Getting Hot in Here

Back to Article
Back to Article

It’s Getting Hot in Here

Haidyn Emmerich and Sarah Kaplan

Global warming is a worldwide issue that affects everyone. The use of human emissions has been causing the environment to change dramatically over the past decades. As of October 2015, the Earth has warmed up about 1.7 degrees Fahrenheit since 1880. This may not sound like a considerable change, but as an average increase on Earth’s surface, this is actually incredibly high. In addition, we have broken the record for highest temperatures in history nine years in a row.
The issue of climate change is looked at in different perspectives by many people and although there are some initiatives to stop its effects, there is no solid plan to reverse them. With the upcoming election, the presidential candidates have been stating their stance on climate change in hopes to win more votes. Sabrina Lodato, Junior at WVHS, said, “I honestly don’t think that climate change is as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Global warming should not be a priority for presidential candidates. They would be better off focusing on the economy.”
Hillary Clinton wants to collaborate with Congress in order to reduce the effects of global warming. It’s believed that she will campaign more heavily against climate change than other presidents have before her, according to an article in TheGuardian. Hillary plans on tackling this problem by targeting energy supplies and what they’re doing to our environment.
On the other hand, Donald Trump has publicly stated that he believes climate change to be a hoax fabricated by China. Also, according to ‘What Are Donald Trump’s Views on Climate Change? Some Clues Emerge’ by Erica Goode, if elected, he doesn’t plan on prioritizing Obama’s initiative of the Clean Power Plan and the initiative to protect waterways and wetlands.
This election has been different than past elections because the debate has been brought onto social media more than any other election. Trump has recently tweeted, “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S manufacturing non-competitive,” while Hillary has tweeted, “Climate change is real, and threatens us all. We need to act,” clearly separating her beliefs from Trump’s. Now that global warming is becoming more of a worldwide issue and has become more controversial, it is more likely to be considered while voting.
During his presidency, Obama has put the Climate Action Plan into effect. He had vocalized, “I refuse to condemn your generation and future generations to a planet that’s beyond fixing.”Senior, Noah Kriegel, expressed, “Climate change is obviously real and if you don’t believe it you’re being ignorant. We should probably do something to stop it considering that the North Pole is at some record temperature highs, and that’s killing a lot of polar bears and raising our sea levels. We really don’t have much influence on climate change at such a young age, but now our school is trying our best to reduce its effects, starting with a recycling club.”
The differences in opinion haven’t stopped at the presidential candidates, but they have also influenced the opinions of the younger generation. Sophomore, Jailyn Rodriguez proclaimed, “We should stop worrying about social issues and start worrying about the earth! Fixing all of the economic and social problems won’t matter if we have no place to live.” Directly opposing this idea, Senior Austin Hayes stated, “Personally, I don’t think that climate change is a priority. I’m more interested about the economic side of the election.”
Each state in the U.S. is beginning to incorporate climate change into their planning, because the changes vary in different regions, according NASA. There will be a mass amount of health impacts in cities around the world, because of the increased heat. Flooding and erosion in coastal areas are also major concerns.
All the aspects of climate change are incredibly significant, not just to our country, but to the world and on an individual basis. If the presidential candidates don’t work towards reversing climate change, the effects will continue increasing. So they need to act now, and quickly, before it’s too late.

It’s Getting Hot in Here