It Can’t End Here

Back to Article
Back to Article

It Can’t End Here

Ryan Pfingst, World Page Editor

Over the past year, Bernie Sanders has initiated a political revolution, one that cannot and will not end here. Unfortunately, this underdog candidate will not become our president, as he is not the democratic nominee.
However, as his campaign was unlike any other, the effect it had cannot be assessed by the same criteria that any other would be judged. His campaign and the movement he created are bigger than Bernie, and possibly as significant as this election. That is because this political revolution can continue on for years and years to come, longer than either Bernie is in politics or longer than our future president is in office.
The ideals he put in place and the message he preached that resonated with millions of Americans will affect the decisions both the Democratic party and the country as a whole make in the future. Most importantly, he enticed the younger demographics to become interested and  more involved in politics than they have been in many years before.   Bernie began a movement on many fronts. He forced issues to be spoken about, many of which would have gone neglected had it not been for him. He brought to light the injustice of the power and wealth being held by a tiny elite, or the 1%, and effectively pulled the Democrat’s political policies toward the left. Anywhere from the minimum wage and college tuition, to the war on drugs, he brought issues to the table, forcing people, namely Democrats, to face these matters, and reevaluate their political stances. Even so, the most noteworthy aspect of this movement was that a 75-year old politician impressively prompted younger generations to eagerly become involved in politics.
However, Bernie alone cannot finish this political revolution, nor can it be done in one election cycle. The activism displayed by the younger generations needs to continue past this campaign, and past this November. His supporters must stay involved and keep Bernie’s ideas in mind, even when they are no longer seen as the younger generation. They are the future of this great nation, a future that could be shaped by the movement started today. But, it isn’t guaranteed.
It is their time to take a stand, their time to make our voices heard. They, the younger generations, the forthcoming leaders of the United States, have very strong feelings and are tired of being ignored. There are issues affecting their lives currently, and issues that will affect their lives very soon, which need to be addressed. Crippling student loan debt will be following them for years, and possibly decades, after they graduate college. Minimum wage needs to be raised, because right now it is not enough to keep above the poverty level.
As the millennials age and face the world head on, the lessons that the Bernie campaign taught us need to be remembered.
When the millennials are voting for president once again in four years, as well as in 20 years, keeping in mind the ideals that Senator Sanders put in place is a necessity in order for this movement to continue. They must maintain the activism that was displayed in the support of this campaign. The members of the younger generation must protest, rally, and demand change. Voting is essential because all of the political rallies and protests in the world mean nothing if a ballot is not filled out. This applies to all elections, not just presidential ones. Local elections, as well as congressional ones, are essential steps in this political revolution, because without them, there is no foundation for the next Bernie Sanders to build upon.
The Bernie Sanders movement has come to a crossroads. The active supporters of this campaign can continue to fight for the issues that are important to them, and make changes in the Democratic Party. On the other hand, millennials can return to the way things were before Senator Sanders commenced this revolution, and allow the movement to become de-railed or dismembered. It is up to every individual in this country to keep this movement going.
As Mr. Sanders himself triumphantly declared at the Democratic National Convention, “Together we have begun a political revolution.” Now that it has been initiated, it is up to the younger political advocates to keep in moving, or else it will end as abruptly as it began.

• Editorial

Trumps First Year

• Editorial

They Need Their Money Now

• Editorial

Tired of It

• Editorial

Are We Too PC?

• Editorial

Artificial Intelligence

• Editorial

The Dreamers

• Editorial

This Needs to Stop

• It Can’t End Here

Editorial

Are We Really Being Educated

• It Can’t End Here

Editorial

Betsy DeVos: Education

• It Can’t End Here

Editorial

Are Pit Bulls Perfect?

It Can’t End Here