Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram

Alanna Floreck, Staff Writer

It’s very likely that by now most teens have an idea of what a “finsta” is, or is supposed to be. In essence, it is a second account created by a user who may have many followers that are strangers or merely acquaintances. This second account is private, so the user allows only closer friends and family to have access to their posts. What’s the point of this? Well, most people in this modern technology-dependent society seem to enjoy fabricating a seemingly ideal reality on their Instagram profiles, highlighting only the positive aspects of their lives. It is within our nature to want to show off and be well liked by the outside world, but the question remains, how much of this is really necessary in terms of promoting your personal happiness and well-being? The creation of fake accounts in which people can be their real selves seems to have proved that most people are truly unsatisfied with portraying a “perfect” online persona for themselves because nobody’s life is perfect.

Within the broad definition of these “fake” accounts, each person uses his or hers differently. It’s a commonality that teens don’t feel that the majority of their, let’s say, 1,000 followers, would truly care about embarrassing, personal, or emotion-driven posts with long, impulsive captions. This idea, though logical, still might make it appear as though most users care more about the opinions of their followers than their own enjoyment.

Appreciating the limited number of followers on her finsta, junior Casey Purtell said, “I don’t want people from school that I don’t like seeing those pictures of me and my friends, and you can post your stuff without getting judged.” Aside from sharing ample information about themselves, sometimes teens become too comfortable in knowing that only close friends are seeing their posts and make the mistake of speaking poorly of others in the school.  That is the reason that many people don’t just abstain from having a fake account, but publicly criticize the new fad.

For example, senior Liam Todd, feeling strongly on the subject, stated, “Finstagram is a foolish branch of Instagram where people rant about petty problems and throw shade at people who they don’t allow to follow them. They receive comments such as ‘savage!’ from other people with finstas and it’s a huge waste of time.”  It is not guaranteed that outsiders will never see finstagram posts. Even the closest and most trusted friends of the finsta user could easily show the account to someone face-to-face.

Although similar to the casual nature of Snapchat, finstas are preferred due to the permanence of posts and the absence of a caption limit. A common theme is just to poke lighthearted fun at yourself before someone else gets a chance to.  Feeling free to be themselves on a digital platform only seen by those who are truly important in their lives is a major confidence booster for those who are sick of the pressure of Instagram’s new popularity standards.

Junior Seana Morgan shared, “It’s a way to express different aspects of your life that people don’t always see. My friends can get a glimpse into the more personal aspects of my life. Plus it’s a lot of fun and I feel more connected to the people involved!” The internet is still something that should be used with caution but also not taken too seriously. No matter how private, anything digital is still public information that affects how people perceive each other.

• Entertainment

The American Mythos

• Entertainment

The Frightening Future of Technology

• Entertainment

#MeToo

• Entertainment

It’s Back and Better Than Ever

• Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram

Entertainment

Live From New York

• Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram

Entertainment

Writer of the Silver Screens

• Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram

Entertainment

“Where you lead, I will follow”

• Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram

Entertainment

AHS: All Seasons Connected?

• Entertainment

Why Aren’t Millennials Watching the News?

• Entertainment

Bieber is Back!

Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram