“Where you lead, I will follow”

Sierra Walsh, Debate Page Editor

“Where you lead, I will follow. Anywhere that you tell me to. If you need, you need me to be with you. I will follow where you lead.” This is part of the theme song for Gilmore Girls by Carol King, songwriter sensation. Gilmore Girls was a TV show that aired in 2000- 2007 that was revived on November 25 2016.  There are many shows that have similar circumstances to this, for example the show Fuller House. However some shows are just getting revived because of Netflix, which allows many people to have some of the fabulous older shows at their fingertips. Even though these shows were huge at the time, they have become even bigger as the youth of America starts to watch them through Netflix.   

Full House was a show that aired in 1987 to 1995, it was a very popular show at its time. Today it is considered to be a sitcom, one of the more famous ones in all generations. However it began to die out over time because the people who watched it during their childhood started to grow up, yet still a substantial group of people watched it for in 2016 they brought it back in the form of Fuller House. Fuller House first aired on February 2016 and the second season aired on December 9th. It will and has made its big debut through Netflix, redistributing its comedy and plot through the youth of america.  Junior Kaitlyn Fenton stated, “ I used to love watching Full House when I was younger so when I heard there was going to be a new show with the same characters I was so excited. It brought back great memories from my childhood and also had an older feel to it so it spoke more to my age group. I found it fascinating to see how this show in particularly had morphed over the year.”

Friends has not been revived by the use of new episodes but that in no way means that it is not still huge and widely talked about. Many teens did not watch Friends  when it aired, for it aired in 1994 and ended in 2004. Yet that has not stopped many Americans from watching this comedy and fun-filled show. It does not matter what week, month or year it is, Friends is a show that can bring a smile to almost everyone’s face and that is why it is still so prominent today. According to junior Adriana Montgomery, “I think most shows that were really popular a few years ago should come back and a have a remake. A show that I would love to comeback is Friends, because I think it would be great to see all the actors and actresses years later, even if it was only a reunion episode.” Now every time someone starts to take about the song “I’ll be there for you” everyone thinks of Friends. The fact that the song is a universal symbol of Friends speaks in and of itself about the immense popularity of the show. According to Jackie Grundfast, “Friends is one of my favorite shows of all times. I literally watched it about ten times through and through, and can probably give a quote from every episode!”  

Gilmore Girls, with a stunning rating of 9 out of 10 on TV.com, has come to take the world by a frenzy again. The unique town of Stars Hollow has once again returned and the star studded cast is back. According to junior Heide Ottley “ I love Gilmore Girls because it’s a dramedy, so it combines witty jokes with some more serious problems and it gives me something to bond over with my mom because she watched the show when it originally aired. I can’t wait for the reunion because it is always exciting to see all the same actors and actresses  back together again.” This show was not only a great form of entertainment but it has a very good story line, that was always intriguing. Gilmore Girls has quality characters ranging from calm and collected (for the most part) Rory and high intensity Paris Geller. Each character, no matter how significant or minor their role was, played a beneficial role in this show. Junior Kamryn Cahill expressed, “ I loved Gilmore Girls. It was a big part of my childhood because I used to watch it with my sister back in the day. I’m so happy there’s going to be another season of this show.”  Bringing families together, creating bonds that can be made in no other way then a common love for a TV show, can hardly be duplicated by any other show then Gilmore Girls.

There are many other shows that have also been revived through Netflix, the ones that were listed about are a select few. In addition to the shows that have been brought back, movies also are being continued, for example a childhood legend Harry Potter. This movie series is not necessarily getting brought back but the new movie “Fantastic Beast and where to Find Them” , is a sort of spin off of Harry Potter and his world. There are also many shows that are coming out today, and one day maybe they will be what your kids watch for some good old TV. People are part of the TV show continuum, because they get to watch the older shows and see future famous show at the beginning, this circle of TV will continue as long as people can watch TV.

• Entertainment

The American Mythos

• Entertainment

The Frightening Future of Technology

• Entertainment

#MeToo

• Entertainment

It’s Back and Better Than Ever

• “Where you lead, I will follow”

Entertainment

Live From New York

• “Where you lead, I will follow”

Entertainment

Writer of the Silver Screens

• “Where you lead, I will follow”

Entertainment

Finsta: The Paradox of Instagram

• “Where you lead, I will follow”

Entertainment

AHS: All Seasons Connected?

• Entertainment

Why Aren’t Millennials Watching the News?

• Entertainment

Bieber is Back!

“Where you lead, I will follow”