Studying Abroad

Back to Article
Back to Article

Studying Abroad

Rebecca Hybbeneth, Staff Writer

Coming to an entirely different school is extremely stressful. Moving from one town to another iis one thing, but coming from a completely different county must be a whole different ball game. Learning the language, learning the cultures, while meeting all new people and making new friends. The Survey interviewed Kiet Hoang on how he was transitioning and how he was handling an entirely new country.

“Hi, I’m Kiet Hoang, I am seventeen years old.”

Q-  Where did you come from? Do you miss it?

A-  “I come from Vietnam, it is a beautiful place, I miss it a lot. We have more tourism attractions, such as Ho Chi Minh City, Nha Trang it’s a beautiful beach, and some kinds of mountains that you can look over. I miss it a lot.”

Q-  What did you like about your old school?

A-First of all, I like the environment in my old school. It’s very energetic, but not more energetic than this school.  We have lots of activities, we had lots of classes, and second I miss my old teachers, because they are very nice and they teach well. I have good grades because of them. Finally, I miss my friends. I have three best friends in Vietnam, and I miss them a lot. I talk to them every week, and weekend.”

Q- Why did you want to be an exchange student?

A-  “I wanted to be an exchange student because I want to find myself, because in Vietnam we are just in a box, and now I escape from that box. So I wanted to be an exchange student, to find myself and to find my strengths and weaknesses. Second I want to know about the cultures here, and I want to improve myself and of course to improve my English skills.”

Q-  Do you find the cultures to be very different?

A-  “Yeah, in Vietnam we don’t say “good morning” we just go and say “hi”.  We never say “good morning”. When we met someone in the U.S.A, although they are strangers we just say hi to them, but in Vietnam we are just a little shy, even our families we don’t talk to that much.”

Q-   Are you enjoying classes at Warwick?

A-  “Yes. My favorite classes are Economics class, and English class! I enjoy them because, in Economics my teacher. Mr. Torgeson, he is hilarious, and even this morning he asked me if I have ever tasted a bagel, and I said no I haven’t since we do not have that. He asked another student that was in another class to bring me a bagel, and a Dr. Pepper! In English class, I really like Ms. Markt. She is very friendly and nice, and the class is very energetic. They talk a lot. They talk to the teacher and the other students, to improve the class and the lesson, it makes it more funny.”

Q-  What is the main difference between Warwick and your old school?

A-  “The biggest difference is the education. In Vietnam we only have three main subjects, such as, Math, English, and Chemistry. Here, we have lots of choices! There are even classes that we would learn in college, such as Psychology, and Astronomy. So this is very different. There are many more opportunities.”

Q- What is it like living away from your family?

A-  “In the beginning, I missed them a lot, because this is the first time I have been abroad. I miss them a lot, but luckily I met a very hospitable host family, they teach me and show me how behave in the U.S.A. They take care of me so good. I like staying with them, I always thank them for hosting me.”

Q-What are you going to tell your friends and family when you go home?

A-  “I would say to them that they should experience a life in the U.S.A, because wow. There is so much wow! Just like me I was quite shy in the beginning, only for about one week, but I am much more improved. I think that they must experience this once in their lives, it is worth it.”

Kiet obviously is having the time of his life here. There are obvious differences, such as he has never even had a bagel, and the fact that they don’t even say “Good Morning” to each other in Vietnam. Kiet is transitioning very well, and it is amazing how well he is doing. It is awesome that he is enjoying his peers, faculty, as well as his classes here. He has brand new friends, and is really enjoying the culture change from Vietnam, to The United States. Everyone be sure to give a warm welcome to new student, Kiet Hoang!

• School

Jobs You Never Thought Our Teachers Had

• School

Looking Back on 2017

• School

Warwick’s MVPs

• School

Sleepless

• Studying Abroad

School

Interact Talent Show

• Studying Abroad

School

The New and Improved Library

• Studying Abroad

School

Danish Exchange Student

• Studying Abroad

School

Teachers, Keep your Views out of it.

• Studying Abroad

School

The Famous Mr. Ekus

• School

State VS. Private School

Studying Abroad