Save the Bees

Annie Demetroules, School Page Editor

Recently, Bees have been added to the list of endangered species. Seven species of the yellow-faced bee, native to Hawaii, have been added. They are the first bees in our nation to be added to the endangered species list and are currently being protected under the Endangered Species Act. They were added because of the use of dangerous pesticides and diseases that ultimately killed seven species of bees. Not only does this greatly affect Hawaii, it does put into perspective what we, as a nation, have to do to make our world safer and stop the extinction of this very important insect. Junior Adriana Montgomery said, “I don’t like bees to begin with but when I heard that they’re endangered it really made me think about what would happen to our world if bees didn’t exist. Without them we wouldn’t have flowers, vegetables, or even plants in general.”

Bees are a key element for our ecosystem. They help pollinate our plants. Without them, our world would be bleak and colorless. Our fruits and vegetables wouldn’t grow very well without the help of bees. Prices of produce would significantly rise. Brian Bower, a junior, added his thoughts about the endangerment of bees. “Without bees we wouldn’t have honey or beeswax. Bees pollinate plants, which is kind of a big deal in our world. I would say I’m a fan of bees for all of their wondrous contributions to society. It’s a shame that they’re dying. One of my favorite movies is the Bee Movie. We need to help save the bees.”

What’s causing these bees to become endangered? First of all, this species of yellow-faced bees gets overlooked constantly because of its similar markings towards a wasp. Bees are having a hard time finding pollen and nectar sources because of the insecticides we use today.  Many people are also afraid of bees because they can sting or bite. The bees that help pollinate, though, are not out to get you. All they want to do is pollinate some flowers and go about their day. Bees and wasps are different. Yes, they may both look the same but they really aren’t the same at all. Bees sting for protection and want to pollinate plants while a wasp basically stings for fun and doesn’t do much of anything to help the process of pollination.

Senior Brendan Hallinan said, “The media coverage on the destruction of our most valuable pollinators has been grossly negligent and that could be the cause of the public’s unwillingness to reverse our effects on the local environment.” Even the smallest action can help reverse the effects of endangerment for these bees and as well as some other important insects that could soon be added to this list. One way that can ultimately help bees in the long run is by planting more flowers, particularly ones that are native to the area you live in. You could have a beehive placed in your garden. Not only does that help the bees but it can help your garden grow as well. Most importantly, be friendly to bees. Bees usually sting when provoked. Senior Katie McCullough gave her opinion about bees, stating, “Bees are a great asset in our ecosystem but if one comes near me I will, without a doubt, run away from it.” So, when a bee flies close to you, stay calm and move away slowly, they’ll eventually lose interest anyway.

The main point here is that we need to do something to save the bees. Even if you hate them, there are still ways that you can help our nation, reverse the effects of bee endangerment before it spreads to more states and we aren’t able to do so. The slightest act can help add to the effort of saving these small, powerful creatures; an act as small as planting some flowers can be a big helping hand. 

• Random

New York Driving Age

• Random

The Future of Yesterday’s

• Random

Be the Change

• Random

Femme Fatales – The Fifteen Percent

• Save the Bees

Random

#NoMakeup

• Random

Life Without Regret

• Save the Bees

Random

Are Our Phones Protected?

• Save the Bees

Random

A Hunch About Lunch

• Save the Bees

Random

Barbie’s New Look

• Save the Bees

Random

Pros and Cons of Warwick

Save the Bees