Peppermint Mocha Cookies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Peppermint Mocha Cookies

Catie Abel, Arts and Culture Page Editor

The holidays are never complete without the perfect holiday cookie. These delicious peppermint mocha cookies are the perfect combination of classic holiday flavors and make a great comfort food. This recipe yields about 20 cookies and is a holiday spin on the classic double chocolate chip cookie. With an option to coat the cookie in savory white chocolate and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy canes, this cookie is a real crowd pleaser.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar

1 large egg, at room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon peppermint extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 Tablespoon instant coffee granules

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup mini or regular size semi-sweet chocolate chips

8 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped

3 large candy canes, crushed

Directions:

In a large bowl, using a mixture beat the butter on medium speed for about one minute until smooth and creamy.

Then add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes until fluffy and light. Beat in the egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract on high speed until evenly combined.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, instant coffee granules, and salt.

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until dough forms. The dough should be thick and sticky. Then add chocolate chips and mix on high speed until thoroughly combined.

Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and put in the fridge to chill for at least 3 hours, For best results, let the dough chill overnight to let the flavors combine with each other evenly.

Take the dough out of the fridge and let stand for about 30 minutes, or until room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees while waiting.

Scoop dough into one inch balls and place on baking sheets. Bake in the oven for 8-9 minutes. Let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Once the cookies are completely cool, you can dip in melted white chocolate and chopped candy canes if desired. Melt chocolate until smooth using a microwave for 15 second intervals. Then dip cookies in the chocolate and sprinkle on chopped candy cane and let chocolate harden.

These cookies taste great and look very festive for the holidays. Sophomore, Ruby Pape who tasted the cookies stated “The cookies give you the feeling of the holidays. They are very soft and moist yet still retain crisp. The perfect comfort food.”. Demaris Eckerson, a Junior stated, “I don’t usually enjoy mint and chocolate, but these cookies are an exception.”.

2016 Holiday Gift Guide:

Peppermint Bath Bombs:

Bath bombs are not only super fun and cool to watch, they are also the perfect way to relax. Bath bombs make great gifts but instead of buying bath bombs, which can cost around six dollars each, make them for multiple people! These peppermint bath bombs are even festive for the holiday season!

What you need:

1 cup baking soda

1/2 cup Citric Acid

1/2 cup cornstarch

3 tablespoon epsom salt

2 teaspoons Sweet Almond Oil

3/4 teaspoon water

15-20 drops Peppermint Oil

food coloring (optional)

mold(s)

To start making your bath bombs, combine baking soda, citric acid, cornstarch, and epsom salts in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine almond oil, essential oil, water, and food coloring. Then slowly pour very small amounts of the wet mixture into the dry mixture. It is crucial to do this as slowly as possible. The liquids can set off the fizzing and foaming reaction of the dry mixture which is supposed to occur when you are ready to use them in a bath.

After your mixture is fully combined, start putting the mixture into your mold with your hands, You can use whatever mold you desire! It is important to let the mixture set in the mold for about two hours to avoid crumbling of the bath bomb. After two hours, carefully and slowly take the bath bomb out of your mold. The bath bomb is complete once removed from the mold and ready to be given to friends or family.

Holiday gifts and treats make the holidays fun and festive. Whether you are creating a gift for someone, or baking cookies with family or friends, these activities are sure to spread some love and positivity.

Peppermint Mocha Cookies