Planned Parenthood

Back to Article
Back to Article

Planned Parenthood

Madeline DiPalmer, Entertainment Page Editor

Many people think of one thing when they hear Planned Parenthood, abortion. But what many people don’t know is that Planned Parenthood is so much more than that. This is a nonprofit organization that provides reproductive health care services in the United States, as well as globally.

Planned Parenthood provides birth control, emergency contraception, HIV/STD testing, women’s health care, LGBT testing, general health care, pregnancy testing, breast cancer screenings and even men’s health care.The procedure of abortions represents three percent of total services provided by Planned Parenthood, and roughly about 10 percent of its clients received an abortion according to the Washington Post . This group does receive federal funding, but the money cannot be used for abortions by law. Planned parenthood is NOT just an abortion clinic. I believe whether you’re pro-life or pro-choice, one should not shame this health care service when it offers so much.

Senior, Greg Knob shared his opinion on Planned Parenthood, “I love it. It is so much more than just abortions. Planned Parenthood gives testing to stop the spread of STD’s and STI’s. As you get older you should be fully transparent with your partner as a great way to stay safe”. Planned Parenthood is a provider of, and advocates broad sex education, which includes discussion of both abstinence and birth control. As the political and legal environment has changed, this healthcare provider has faced different issues in women’s reproductive service. To this day, Planned Parenthood still faces many issues from people who are completely against this type of health care provider for women. The main point of Planned Parenthood is to provide an affordable and safe healthcare system for women. Planned Parenthood looked for alternatives to help poor women. Margaret Sanger is the founder of Planned Parenthood. Her initial goal was birth control work was to get needed health care services to manage their family size, other than just getting an abortion. The most critical aspect of Planned Parenthood is that since it provides safe birth prevention methods, abortion should not have to be an option to any woman. This is something people don’t put together. Being a part of Planned Parenthood helps women avoid the decision of even having an abortion.

Junior, Katie Wixtrom stated, “All the kids in my family are adopted and if abortion was more accepted back in the day, I wouldn’t have them. Yet, I do believe that if Planned Parenthood provides other services where abortions wouldn’t have to be an option, then I’m all for it”.  All in all, one can see Planned Parenthood is more for healthcare than abortions in general.

Hannah LaTorre stated her thoughts on this healthcare provider, “Personally I feel as though Planned Parenthood is a great organization which allows women to make decisions regarding their own bodies. Considering not all women have private healthcare insurance and stable financial means they need to seek help, I feel as though it should continue to be funded by the government. This allows all women to have access to the assistance they need”. Planned Parenthood is a safe and helpful way for women and men to take care of their own bodies .Therefore, Planned Parenthood should now be recognized more as a healthcare service rather than just an abortion clinic.

• Editorial

Trumps First Year

• Editorial

They Need Their Money Now

• Editorial

Tired of It

• Editorial

Are We Too PC?

• Editorial

Artificial Intelligence

• Editorial

The Dreamers

• Editorial

This Needs to Stop

• Planned Parenthood

Editorial

Are We Really Being Educated

• Planned Parenthood

Editorial

Betsy DeVos: Education

• Planned Parenthood

Editorial

Are Pit Bulls Perfect?

Planned Parenthood