Woman’s March

Back to Article
Back to Article

Woman’s March

Anna Costa, Editorial Page Editor

Human Rights are Women’s rights, LGBTQ+ rights, Muslim rights, African American rights, immigrant rights, people with disabilities rights, assault victims rights, humans rights are rights for every single person in this diverse and changing world. As our constitution says and our amendments state, “all are created equal with certain inalienable rights.”
When a person or persons tries to step or approach upon human rights it’s not only a right to be able to get up and take a stand, but a duty.
As Obama expressed in his Farewell Address to the nation in early January, “It falls to each of us to be those anxious, jealous guardians of our democracy. Embrace the joyous task we have been given to continually try to improve this great nation of ours because, for all our outward differences, we in fact all share the same proud type, the most important office in a democracy, citizen.” and “When they wage peaceful protest, they’re not demanding special treatment, but the equal treatment that our founders promised.” This is what the hundreds of thousands of people in Washington, NYC (250,000), Boston (130,000-150,000), LA (750,000), London (100,000) and around the world did.
One of the main catalysts to get this event up and running was the recent US presidential race. During the election many communities were vilified for who they were born as or who they supported during the election. We have seen a man who used fear and hatred to get to the highest office in the land, and though the march is not about hating Donald Trump, one can sense that there is an underlying trepidation for his policies and ways. Only a few hours after the final calling for the presidential race, Teresa Shook from Hawaii, created a Facebook page suggesting that women gather to protest in D.C. on inauguration weekend and at the same time Bob Bland, a fashion designer in NYC, had the same idea. Bland said “We need to form a resistance movement that’s about what is positive, something that will help empower us to wake up in the morning and feel that women still matter.” Over the next few hours thousands for people pledged their participation in the event, and so it only grew from there.
On January 21, 2017 people of every race, gender, ethnic group, sexuality and religion, not just women, marched to defend their inalienable rights. National sponsors, celebrities, feminist icons, journalists, regular everyday Americans and organizations like Planned Parenthood, had thrown their full support behind the march. The march was deliberately planned to be on the first day of Trump’s administration, on the offical website womensmarch.com they experssed just that in their mission statement, “The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new government on their first day in office, and to the world that women’s rights are human rights.”
President Trump took to Twitter, as he usually does, to say “Peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy. Even if I don’t always agree, I recognize the rights of people to express their views.” This was the day after the march and it has been the only recognition he has made towards the march and it’s calls for equality at this moment.
People around the country and around the globe marched alongside these women, with marches taking place in every continent on the planet, every state in the United States and in the countries like The United Kingdom and Australia and in populated cities like Toronto, Canada and Vienna, Austria . Protesters everywhere helped to show their support and their desire for change where they are and right here in America.
Washington D.C. held one of the bigger marches, having an estimated 597,000 people with some still unaccounted for. This giant display of unity for women and men put the inauguration of President Trump to shame, when the attendance only reached about 250,000 people.
Emma Tennyson-Hickey attended the march in NYC, marching with thousands of others, “I went to the Women’s March in the city and I was really impressed by the peaceful display of protest. People were there for a variety of issues such as Planned Parenthood funding, public education, and Trump’s comments on women. I went because the next time congress or President Trump makes a decision on legislation they will hopefully remember that millions of people marched for their rights and will continue to do so.”
Greg Knob also attended the march in NYC, and he passionately expressed that “The Women’s March was truly incredible. It was so inspiring and refreshing to be around likeminded individuals that refuse to be silenced. I’m so lucky that I was able to be apart of the largest protest in US history that fought for values that I believe to be fundamental. This march gave me hope that despite a hateful leader, the people can still prevail and resist his decisive rhetoric and policies every chance we get.”
The event was a call for all women to come together and support each other, not divide within ourselves when the most important thing is to stay together

Woman’s March