Record Breaking

Haidyn Emmerich, Environmental Page Editor

Warwick Valley High School’s Varsity Swim team has been smashing records across the board. Recently, Lee Emmerich, a senior, fellow wildcat,  and also a family member, broke the school record for the 200 Individual Medley. This event includes swimming all four of the strokes in one race, which are freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly. Lee broke the same record that had been previously held by two other members of the Emmerich family, Scott and Kurt Emmerich. Along with these two members of the Emmerich family, another family member, Blake Emmerich, has also held a record for the swim team while he was a high school student. In an interview with Lee, I explored how it felt to break this record and what the Emmerich swim dynasty means to him.

What record did you recently break?

“The 200 Individual Medley.”

What other Emmerich held this record before you?

“First my Uncle Scott had the record and then my Uncle Kurt had the record and I make the third. Also, my Uncle Blake was a member of the record breaking 400 free relay when he was a high school student, which is a record that I, along with Matt Pfohl, Griff Dowden, and Peter Moore, now hold.”

What motivated you to break this record?

“I feel like most people look at me and see someone who isn’t very athletic, so I saw this as an opportunity to prove myself. Also, I’ve had my eyes on the 200 IM record since I first joined the team in 8th grade.”

What was your reaction to breaking the record?

“For the most part, I had a great sense of accomplishment because this was something I had wanted for a while. At the same time, I was not exactly excited. I had added a second to my time and I can be very hard on myself so that made it a little harder for me to enjoy it but it hopefully I’ll be able to go faster by the end of the season.”

How long have you been on the Varsity Swim Team?

“Only three years. I started when I was in 8th grade and then I swam my freshman year but took a break during my sophomore and junior years and decided to come back for my senior year.”

What was your ultimate goal in coming back?

“I can’t put my finger on just one thing I wanted to achieve when coming back to Varsity. However, one of the reasons was to try to match up to someone that I looked up to a lot as a young swimmer, Eric Pfohl. At his peak of high school swimming, he held four records and with luck, I would like to do the same. Another one of my goals is just to do a great job representing Warwick at Sections.”

Is there anybody you would like to thank?

“I would like to thank all of my friends on the Varsity Swim team for being so supportive and encouraging to come back. I would also like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Quinn got giving me this opportunity and being so kind to me all the way through my swimming career.”

What are you going to do after high school?

“After high school I’m going to study English and film in the hopes of becoming a writer. And, of course, I’m going to swim in college.”

Record Breaking