Are We Really Being Educated

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are We Really Being Educated

Jennifer O’Reilly, Health Page Editor

For the past 10-13 years, we have all been in school from September until June sitting in desks being educated by teachers. Learning the same things, each year we go more in depth on each subject. While it may have been effective and important at a young age, is the education system now really beneficial?
Learning mathematics is extremely important when you’re young because you need learn how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. But is it really necessary to learn the Pythagorean theorem or Sin, Cos, Tan when it won’t help later in life? Learning about things like that may help a small minority of us with our careers, but shouldn’t you learn about that in college when you’re studying to pursue that career? Sophomore Kat Capone commented, “ It’s bad because I personally believe it’s not teaching me the values I need to further go on with my life, like when am I going to ever use slope= y=mx+b.”
In a study, a total of 14% of working Americans said that they actually used trigonometry after graduating, which isn’t a lot considering it’s being taught to everyone. Junior Abi Cartwright mentioned, “ I think the education system is failing to teach students material they would need to use in the real world. For example, instead of teaching trigonometry, what about teaching students how to do taxes or buy a house.”
Another subject is history. It’s extremely important to have knowledge on the past to educate ourselves on it and learn from our mistakes, but why go so far in depth? Learning about all the wars and the leaders of the past is important in order to help inform ourselves, but what about learning things in the present that apply to everyday life. Learning about politics and the laws we deal with daily would help educate kids more on what’s currently happening and what impacts our future, as well as what’s actively going on around the world in other countries. With the social media we have today it’s easy to access information like this, but it’s not always true and not everybody has access to it which can lead to an uneducated mentality.
Courses such as economics, foreign language, financial algebra, consumer math, health, and government are all beneficial to our future, and lucky for us they’re all offered here. All of these courses offer something we will use regularly in our future and they help us prepare for it, opposed to courses that we’re forced to take where we remember the information for the test, and never use it again.
“ I personally feel that there are a lot of flaws in our current education system. Throughout the past few years, us as students have been given more opportunities in which I am thankful for, but I do think that it would be beneficial for us to have more of a say. I do feel that some courses at this point seem unnecessary, or are in need of renovation or reform. For example, health class I have a busy schedule, and it is hard enough to fit all of the classes I want in just seven available periods. I haven’t taken health, but everyone is constantly complaining how the class is focused on all of the wrong things.” -Olivia O’Connor
The education system that we have today isn’t all that great. While we’re constantly advancing with other things in life, like technology, we still have yet to improve the education system, which is extremely important. Some ways we can improve the education system is to have a less “teach for the test” curriculum where teachers are constantly rushing to go over material for a test, give students more options, and encourage more music, arts, and home economics courses.
Junior Kaitlyn Fenton stated, “I
don’t like the education system we have

today, I feel like it’s no longer beneficial to
me for the most part. There’s several things I wish I could learn that would strongly impact my future yet I sit here everyday learning things that I may never use after the regents”.
For the majority of students graduating and planning to attend a college, the SAT or ACT is typically required when applying. The SAT and ACT are tests based on your knowledge of math, reading, and writing, but those subjects don´t come easily to everyone yet they can determine which college we get into, which will highly impacts our future. While there are special education classes for students that struggle with certain subjects such as english, math, science, and history, that still doesn’t mean that students are fully aware and educated of that particular subject. So is it really fair to judge someone based on their knowledge of a subject they struggle with?
As Albert Einstein once said ¨Everybody is a Genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing its stupid.¨ which really puts the education system we have into a whole new perspective. A person could go on to do such great things in our world, but because they struggle academically, they’re told that they will go nowhere in life and accomplish nothing. So why are we letting our education system define us? Senior Talia Pittaluga said, “It completely disregards individuality and creativity and molds us to all learn and think the same”.
The education system we have is no longer beneficial to our generation, and the generations to come. It doesn’t help us improve our lives for the better, and for the most part, it doesn’t help us prepare for our future.

• Editorial

Trumps First Year

• Editorial

They Need Their Money Now

• Editorial

Tired of It

• Editorial

Are We Too PC?

• Editorial

Artificial Intelligence

• Editorial

The Dreamers

• Editorial

This Needs to Stop

• Are We Really Being Educated

Editorial

Betsy DeVos: Education

• Are We Really Being Educated

Editorial

Are Pit Bulls Perfect?

• Are We Really Being Educated

Editorial

Yes We Can. Yes We Did.

Are We Really Being Educated