Gap Year- Pros

Ryan Pfingst, World Page Editor

There are many different paths that one can embark on after graduation, and taking a gap year is just one of the viable options to students. Simply put, a gap year is just a break from education and while it may be taken at any point in one’s academic career, it is most commonly taken after graduating high school and before starting college. While some may feel that taking a gap year is a risky move that may hinder one’s motivation for learning, this year-off can be so much more beneficial than that. The possibilities of a gap year are numerous, and while it goes without saying that the results of a gap year are dependent upon the person and how they take advantage of this time away from school, one cannot deny the opportunities given to students by this new freedom.
Before analyzing the results of a gap year, one must first look at the reasons why someone would take a gap year. For some, they may simply be burnt out from school and need a small break from education. For others, it may be financial. They may need to take a gap year so that they can spend their time working and save up enough money to afford college. Others may desire to use this time for travelling, service trips, or other modes of self-improvement. They may want to do these things while they still have the time and energy, before they graduate college and start working and they don’t have time to take part in these activities they have dreamed about.
While some may fear that a gap year can lessen your chances of getting into college and can cause you to perform poorly while back in college, gap years can actually have the opposite effect. Gap years can allow you to learn more about yourself, which helps you decide what colleges are a better fit for you. Also, if you spend your gap year on a service trip or being employed, it can actually better your chance of getting into more selective or more challenging schools. If you spend your year-off sitting on the couch and taking part in completely unproductive activities, of course you will lose your motivation. However, if you make the most of your free time by travelling, working, doing service trips, or taking part in other productive activities, it can be unbelievably beneficial.
Therefore, when you graduate from high school and are trying to figure out what to do next in your life, don’t feel pressured to start college right away. If you decide to take a short break from this rigorous and tiring academia, be sure to do something productive with your time. Take this time to learn about yourself and what you want to do with your life, you may not get another chance like this in the future. Gap years can have a multitude of benefits, some of which may last for life, so don’t miss out on this opportunity.

Gap Year- Pros