Cheerleading Olympics

Channing Prins, Staff Writer

The days of waving pom-pom’s and smiling are over, cheerleading is much more than that today. Most people see the cheerleaders on the sidelines and assume that all they do is smile and make up cheers. What they don’t see is the hours of hard work and practice cheerleaders really do. There is a major difference between Friday night football cheerleading, and competitive All Stars cheerleading. Cheerleaders are always trying new stunts and tumbling. They are constantly training, stretching and, learning more tumbling passes. Cheerleading is just as much a sport as football is, and they were granted this right in 2010 when they were declared to be a true sport. Now they are in the running to become one of the new sports in the Olympics.
High School cheerleading usually has two teams, a JV and a Varsity. They have tryouts where not everyone makes it, to decide if your on JV or Varsity is all based on skill, strength, experience and, quality. They have practice about two times a week, where they work on some stunts, cheers and, chants. During this time they will also talk about group activities, plan school events and, make signs for football games. They stand on the sidelines at every football game chanting and cheering for the football team, and motivating the crowd to cheer on the players. At home games they get to perform a routine as a Halftime Show, they also perform at pep rallies and other school events. It’s a great way to get involved with your school.
All Stars or “competitive” cheerleading is the most advanced type of cheerleading. Like high school cheerleading it also involves tryouts, where everyone usually makes a team. They are placed on a team according to their skill level and age. All Stars cheerleading includes extreme tumbling, advanced stunts, and faster cheer counts. They practice three to four times a week, to get them prepared for competition season. They have one routine for the whole season and tweak it between each competition. Unlike high school cheerleading, they do not cheer for football or basketball teams. Where high school cheerleaders many go to one or two competitions, All Stars can go up to 15 or more a season. All Stars or “competitive” cheerleading is both a physical and mental challenge on the cheerleaders.
The International Olympics Committee (IOC) voted in favor for cheerleading to have provisional sports status in 2016. Provisional sports status is when the IOC allows the organization
to receive funding for three years. In those three years the sport has potential to be an Olympic sport. A total of 16 sports also tried out for provisional sports status and only two made it, one being Cheerleading. The IOC wants to attract more of the youthful audience, and the popularity of competitive cheerleading has already attracted a younger following. Many people who don’t know exactly what cheerleading is, feel like it’s not a sport and shouldn’t be added to the Olympics. Carolyn Morrison a freshman here at Warwick Valley High School started, “Cheer has their own form of competition as in nationals and worlds, but nothing as big as the Olympics.”This is what the International Cheer Union (ICU) wants to put to rest. With competitive cheerleading the ICU and the IOC think it is a good idea to add cheerleading, to raise the youth audience of the Olympics. One example of the youth interest in cheerleading is a sophomore, Rosalba Abreu said, “Well, I believe that cheerleading is a sport that should have been added to the Olympics a long time ago. This sport does not only include a lot of mental and physical work, but teamwork.” This high rating in the youth audience can help cheerleading become a new sport added to the Olympics.
The big question is will cheerleading be in the 2020 Olympics? Each Olympics are allowed to host sports for a one time trial. The 2020 Olympics is already hosting four trial sports: baseball, skateboarding, surfing, and climbing sports. These sports have a bigger youth audience, and that’s why they are on trial. With cheerleading having a high youth interest, look to the mats because soon cheerleading will be tumbling and stunting its way into the Olympics.

Cheerleading Olympics