Filed under Editorial

Two is Not Always Better Than One

Have you ever watched a movie and fell completely head over heels in love with it, only to have it ruined in its’ entirety by a sequel? Any specific movies that comes to mind, like Mean Girls 2 and/or Grease 2? These movies had a lot of anticipation and hype to live up to, but ended up falling short. This is not always the case, as we’ve had numerous sequels that have not only played out precisely as we’ve wanted them to, but far exceeded our wildest imaginations. Those awesome second movies include Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride, Lethal Weapon 2, and even the Addams Family Values. It is more common though, that our excitement and anxious turbulence leads to unsheathed disappointment when streaming, renting, or going to see a movie.
When asked about the hype sequels have and how they are affected by high expectations, Sara Graff, WVHS junior replied “Certain movies that get good reviews create a lot of excitement. When it’s all over and suddenly a sequel comes out, the excitement [comes] back. I feel like expectations for sequels are high. I think it all depends on who the writers and directors are, and how well they actors can do, but most sequels suck.” She also commented about thesequels that were good and lived up to the high expectations she set, which included, “Hellboy 2 was really good, I really liked it a lot, and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation was awesome and really funny.” When asked, Matt Tomko a WVHS senior commented “I would say if the first movie is really good, then I definitely just automatically have higher expectations for the second one. It’s probably harder to follow up a really good movie so it’s easier to get let down.” Matt said one of his least favorite sequels was Mean Girls 2, explaining that, “it was too predictable, and a poor attempt to recreate the original. It just ended up too familiar and not done as well [as the original].”
There is no sure way to make sure your favorite movie’s next chapter will be as good, or hopefully better. When asked if the hype of first time movies ruin the overall experience that sequels bring, WVHS freshman Francesca Micallef commented, “No because for instance The Hunger Games, it’s a sequel, and when I saw the first movie it was so good I couldn’t wait for more. I thought to myself, how is the next movie going to be able to beat this? Most sequels the movies get better and better, and [in] some sequels the first movie is better than the rest. When people wait for a movie so eagerly they just want to read the books to find out what happened. I don’t read books so I wait for the movies to come out, and I’m so eager to watch the next movie. I don’t think my eagerness destroys the sequel making it less awesome.”    Not all movies are performed and executed flawlessly. Sometimes even the greatest books and scripts end up failing miserably. The question of do we ruin next chapter movies by eagerly waiting and anticipating greatness from them is still left undetermined. It is
common that we amp up the experiences original movies give us, only expecting the next one to not just match
that intensity, but exceed our beloved expectations. But with that anticipation, we are also able to hold on to it and see the transfer of our favorite movie characters throughout a multiple movie storyline in an unimaginable way. There is no solid answer as to why some sequels cannot match the greatness of their originals, rather a debatable topic, in which, multiple opinions are valued and hold the unlocked truth. Producers will continue to release sequels and follow up movies, and we, as audience members, can only hope they stay true to the treasured originals and live up to our film aficionados. their originals, rather a debatable topic, in which, multiple opinions are valued and hold the unlocked truth. Producers will continue to release sequels and follow up movies, and we, as audience members, can only hope they stay true to the treasured originals and live up to our film aficionados.

• Editorial

Trumps First Year

• Editorial

They Need Their Money Now

• Editorial

Tired of It

• Editorial

Are We Too PC?

• Editorial

Artificial Intelligence

• Editorial

The Dreamers

• Editorial

This Needs to Stop

• Two is Not Always Better Than One

Editorial

Are We Really Being Educated

• Two is Not Always Better Than One

Editorial

Betsy DeVos: Education

• Two is Not Always Better Than One

Editorial

Are Pit Bulls Perfect?

Two is Not Always Better Than One