Filed under Editorial

The Issue With Trump

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Issue With Trump

For quite a while now, people have debated over whether or not to vote Donald Trump for President of the United States. Some have bashed him and accused him of being racist, sexist, and otherwise discriminatory; while others have portrayed him as a promising voice for the country of America.

The definition of misogyny is “dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.” According to an article from the Washington Post, Trump has made “flippant misogyny as much as part of his trademark as his ostentatious lifestyle.” They give multiple examples, such as in a 2006 book, when he “wrote of women as objectified collectibles, that Beauty and elegance, whether in a woman, building, or work of art, is not just something superficial to see.” Another example given by Washington Post was that in 2012, he posted on Twitter that the Huffington Post founder Arianna Huffington is “unattractive both inside and out.” Former Congressman Michael Huffington, Huffington’s ex-husband, came out as gay after they divorced. Trump responded to this by tweeting “I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man-he made a good decision.”

On the other side of the issue, Rush Limbaugh, who is a political radio talk show host, made a speech openly supporting Trump. He stated that “Trump is surviving this,” in reference to the argument made by John McCain that “Trump was riling up the crazies in the Republican Party.” Trump stated that “John McCain was not a war hero, and that America and its people had not seen an embattled public figure stand up for himself and tell everyone to go to hell.” Limbaugh praised Trump for “not following the rules” and ignoring mainstream media to loudly speak his opinion according to the Political Insider.

In a survey conducted for Warwick Valley High School, a total of 67 students were asked if they wanted Trump to win the election vote. When the results were concluded, 25% of students said yes, 57% of students said no, and 19% of students had no opinion.

A senior by the name of William Brack was interviewed about the issue. While not being the biggest fan of politics, he expressed his likeliness for Donald Trump becoming president and stated, “I think that he’s willing to do as much as he can for the American people.” On the other hand, Eric Kromholz, another senior that was interviewed, expressed his thoughts against Trump. “I’m a Democrat who doesn’t support Republican ideals,” Kromholz stated. Another one of his claims was that “Trump has stereotypical views on immigrants, such as Mexicans and Hispanics, to the point where he might shun immigrants from the country altogether.”

My personal belief is that Trump would not set a good example for America. Due to his reputation of being racist, sexist, misogynist, or whatever other prejudice he may have against minorities, Donald Trump would be a bad President and I would absolutely not support him.

• Editorial

Trumps First Year

• Editorial

They Need Their Money Now

• Editorial

Tired of It

• Editorial

Are We Too PC?

• Editorial

Artificial Intelligence

• Editorial

The Dreamers

• Editorial

This Needs to Stop

• The Issue With Trump

Editorial

Are We Really Being Educated

• The Issue With Trump

Editorial

Betsy DeVos: Education

• The Issue With Trump

Editorial

Are Pit Bulls Perfect?

The Issue With Trump